Wednesday, October 8, 2008

2008 St. George Marathon














































What a Marathon!!!! I stayed in Mom and Dad's motorhome in Central the night before the race. During the night the wind picked up and then it started to rain. I put on a plastic garbage bag to shield me from the rain and headed to the starting line. By race time it was raining hard and the wind was blowing right into our faces. I decided to run comfortably and stay under control, especially during the first half. The rain never let up, and neither did the wind. I came through the half at about 1:24:45.0. I was pretty happy with that. I passed Monty Hawks and his cheering section at Winchester Hills. Coming out of Winchester the wind was blowing even harder, and right into our faces. I picked up my last food bag from Scott at mile 19 and was still feeling pretty good. I discovered that my hands were too frozen to open the bag. I finally fought my way into it and took my last Clif Shot. I started to get cramps in both of my calves at about mile 23 (which is where I had planned to really pick up the speed) Needless to say I didn't pick up the speed, but merely kept my legs and feet moving to the finish. Mike Schramm passed me on Diagonal St. When I turned onto 300 S. I decided to try to pass the 2 guys who were ahead of me. I gave it all I had left and got by both of them. I was sooooo tired I could hardly stand up. My time was 2:48:50. I was disappointed until I heard that most of the Blogging guys had finished about 10 minutes short of their goals too. The wind and rain may have accounted for the 10 minute additional time. That would have made my time right at what I was shooting for. Anyway, it was sure good to see Kathy, Stef, Beau, Mom, Dad, Brad, Trudy, Nate, Skylar, and Camille. We all walked over to the massage tables and I layed down. The massage guy put 2 blankets over me and started giving me a rubdown. Boy that felt good. We called Scott, who was still at his water stop. After my massage, Kathy and I went to find something to munch on and a diet cherry coke to drink. mmmmmmm. I dried off, changed clothes and we went back to the finish line. It was fun watching people come in at the 5 to 6 hour mark. We stayed for the awards. I took 3rd place in my age division. 36th place overall. Just want to say thanks to everyone who supported me and encouraged me through this tough year of training twice a day. I logged just over 2150 miles since Jan. Thanks to the Fastrunningblog guys for their good advice and knowledge that helped get me in the shape I'm in. A huge thanks to Kathy for listening to my daily training run evaluations, running storys, theories on training, aches and pains, pumped up moods and everything else RUNNING! Thanks!!I love you Hon!!

2 comments:

The Stratton Family said...

dad i love those pictures of you! i would like to put them in my scrapbook, butthey are so small. are they any bigger on your computer? if they are could you send them to me? thanks!

Runnman said...

They are just the proofs from the photo company. I have to purchase them to get better quality and size. I will probably buy one or two of them.